Saturday 11 August 2018

Listening. Pt 3



And then I spent the second half of the night listening as another friend wept her heart out. She bravely shared with me things that had happened to her, things that no-one, good or bad, deserves to have happen to them. And I listened as she blamed herself. And as she told me she thought she deserved it. And if my heart had had any part of it left to break, that shattered too. I held her while she sobbed. I spoke love and hope and honesty over her for hours.

And then for a while, we both just listened to the silence. I didn’t try to give advice, because I was speechless. I didn’t try to fix the situation though I wished I could change the hurt she felt inside of her. But I also knew I couldn’t. All I could do is stay strong. And help her to make good decisions regarding her wellbeing and safety. When she was ready. It was a long night. But I knew she needed to know that I wasn’t giving up on her. And that I loved her and I believed in her and that I will always listen to all the things she never feels able to share with anyone, when she is ready to tell me. Because she is a beautiful, broken human being, just like me.

And we all need to be seen, we all need to be heard, and sometimes, we all need to just listen.

No comments: