Monday 10 March 2008

Glory

N.B. "Its okay to do stuff scared." - Wrong. Its GOOD to do things scared. ;)

So yesterday I ended up doing the Children's talk in church. Well, not so much a talk as I had to read out a story and do some actions. But still. Talking? Ami? In church? NO! And I was still just as terrified as I would have been if I was doing a real talk. The fear comes not because of what I am saying. But because I am on show, the centre of attention, all eyes focussed on me, and I hate that. (I cried at my own 18th birthday party because people were singing and looking at me...)

But there is one thing that I have learnt from doing the talk yesterday, and my assembly last month as well. And that is to rely on the strength of God to carry me through. When doing things that I believe I am good at, I do not always give God the glory as I should. Because I think I have developed the talent or skill, and so I take the credit. However, when doing things like talking up the front, I know I am no good at that. And so when I do have to do it, and it goes well, I know that I cannot take the credit for that, because I CAN'T do it! And so I give it to God, because it was only through him that I were able to do it.

And I've found that the things I do through God's strength go an awful lot better than the things I try and do on my own. All I have to do now is give to God the things that I attempt to do on my own. Because they do not always go so well.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
Ephesians 3: 20-21 [NIV]

No comments: