Friday 1 February 2008

Three

N.B. The analogy and stuff were intended for married couples, but yeah. Bothered. And yeah, this may be a bit cheesy and that, but, I don't care. I mean it, and you'll get over it.

This week at Training, we had a session on 'Men and Marriage'. Being the tender age of 18 and not being in a long term relationship, means that actually, marriage; and men right now to be honest; are the last things on my mind. However, there was something that the person leading the session said right at the end that really meant something to me.

For a while now, one of my favourite bible verses to quote is in Ecclesiastes. It is the verse that talks about the importance of family and friends in our lives, and how having them there is even better than being on your own. Recently, there is one person in my life who I have been most grateful to have. And I have felt that the feeling is mutual.

That person, is my best friend Susie. We've been best friends now for about 3 years, and friends for a lot longer than that. I trust Susie with my life, because over the last three years, she has always been there for me when I needed her, and she has never let me down. Even though we spend a lot more time apart now than we used to, I can always talk to her, and her, to me. I feel completely comfortable in her presence, as I can truly be myself, in whatever mood that might be, and I love that. I don't think there is a single human being that understands me as well as Susie does. I think she's awesome.

Thinking even more deeply about it the other day, I realised why I value Susie in my life so much. It is because both together, we ultimately strive towards God. We share a passion to put the will of God first in our lives. But that doesn't mean that we have never turned away from God, individually, in our own struggles. But when we did, we always had the other person, holding us up, seeking God themselves. Whenever we began to fall from God, we would remain close to the other, and therefore, still having the light of Christ shining upon us.

I said to Susie that between us, we could achieve anything. Because we have both committed our lives deeply to living how God wants us, and although we feel sometimes like we have let go of God, we know that the other has not, and so we remain safe, until we are able to stand tall again. The thing that Wendy said at the end of her talk was about ropes. Apparently, a cord that is woven of three strands is indeed, the strongest type of rope, as all the threads are touching each other. If you take one of them away, it decreases the strength of the cord. However, you will never add any strength to the rope by adding more threads, as they will not all be touching. (And that matters... apparently.) The bit that really got me though, was that - even if two of the threads are under pressure, and weak, as long as the third remains strong, the rope will not break. It will hold out until the pressure is released on the other two threads.

There may come a time in the future where me and Susie are both struggling with our separate issues, and so are unable to fully support the other. However, it is in those times that we can be confident in the strength of Jesus Christ within us, so that we will not be beaten or broken. Even if the world is against us, I know we can make it, cause we've made it this far, through some really crappy times, and we're still standing strong.

I love you Susie, don't you ever forget that. :)

"Two are better than one,
because they get more done by working together:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
Three is even better.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12

No comments: